Panko Butterfly Shrimp
Crispy, crunchy and golden brown, butterflied shrimp gets battered and fried in panko, allowing the natural flavor of the shrimp to really shine through. Serve alongside the dipping sauces of your choosing, like cocktail or sweet chili sauce.
Serves two to three.
- 1 pound (16/20) shrimp (shells and tails on)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- oil for frying
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- juice of 2 limes
- cocktail sauce (store bought)
- sweet chili sauce (store bought)
- Clean the shrimp. Pat dry. While pinching the tail, peel off the shell, but leave the tail on.
- Using a paring knife, slice a small slit down the back of the shrimp to butterfly. For a cleaner look, remove the dark line running along the edge or through the body.
- Place the flour and panko in separate bowls. Mix the egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a separate bowl.
- Place the butterflied shrimp into the flour first, shaking off any excess, then dip them into the egg wash, letting any excess egg drip back into the egg bowl.
- Once the shrimp are coated with egg, place them in the panko bread crumbs, making sure they are covered, and press lightly to get the panko to stick.
- Place the fried shrimp in an air fryer or deep fryer with cooking oil. Cook for 3-5 minutes until done. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels before serving.
- For the avocado crema, place the avocado, sour cream and lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Thin out with water until the desired consistency.