Cajun Blackened Shrimp Po’ Boy
When it comes to enjoying big and juicy Gulf shrimp, you can’t go wrong with this classic Southern favorite. To complete its bold and spicy Cajun flavor, this sandwich gets dressed in a Tabasco-based remoulade sauce.
- 1 1/2 pounds large-sized Texas wild caught shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/3 cup spicy remoulade sauce
- 3/4 cup green cabbage, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup yellow or red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 6-inch French rolls, split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon capers, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- In a medium bowl, place the cabbage, peppers, green onions, sugar and a third cup of remoulade sauce and toss together. Allow this mixture to sit for about five minutes so that the flavors begin to meld.
- Toss the shrimp with the melted butter, then toss with the Cajun seasoning to coat evenly.
- Heat a heavy skillet over high heat and place the shrimp in the pan in a single layer. Cook the shrimp for about three to four minutes until they start to form a blackened crust, then turn and repeat. You may need to turn the heat down a bit if the shrimp cook too quickly. Cook the shrimp until they are no longer translucent in the center. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Brush the inside of the French rolls with olive oil and place under a broiler or on a grill to toast the inside until golden brown and heated through.
- Assemble the sandwich: top the bottom half of each of the toasted rolls with six or seven shrimp. Then top the shrimp with some of the slaw. Drizzle each sandwich with a little bit of the additional remoulade sauce if desired. Top the sandwich with the other half of the bread and serve immediately.
Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and keep refrigerated until ready to use.