Thai Red Curry Shrimp
From the Thai red curry paste to the lime juice to the fresh cilantro and basil, and the most aromatic red curry-coconut milk sauce, the delicious flavors in this curry shrimp dish are satisfying for all seasons.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 13.5 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup red or yellow bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced in strips
- 1 clove fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound large sized Texas wild caught shrimp, tail on, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, torn
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup salted cocktail peanuts
- 3 cups fully cooked white rice, warmed
- Begin by making the red curry sauce. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the ginger and sauté briefly until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the curry paste, coconut milk, brown sugar and fish sauce to the pan and bring the mixture to a slight simmer, stirring occasionally. You may need to reduce the heat a little but allow the sauce to slightly simmer for about five minutes for the flavors to meld. Stir in the lime juice and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the two tablespoons of vegetable oil, followed by the mushrooms, peppers and garlic. Sauté this mixture for a few minutes until the peppers and the mushrooms soften a bit and start to caramelize around the edges. Remove the mixture from the pan and set to the side briefly, keeping the mixture warm.
- Add the shrimp to the pan, season with the salt and pepper. Sauté the shrimp over medium heat for a few minutes until the shrimp turns pink, curls and is no longer translucent in the center. Add the mushroom mixture back to the pan with the shrimp and pour in all the red curry sauce that was made earlier. Allow this mixture to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and top the mixture with the peanuts, basil, cilantro and scallions.
- Scoop a portion of the rice onto each of the four plates, then divide the shrimp mixture between the four plates alongside the rice. Serve immediately.