Achiote Rubbed Grouper
Give your grouper a unique smoky flavor by wrapping the filets in banana leaf packets before hitting the grill. The smoke permeates the leaves, imparting a great smoky taste, all while keeping your fish nice and moist. You can also warm your corn tortillas on the grill before serving.
- 6 Grouper filets
- 2 guajillo chiles
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 ounces achiote paste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large banana leaves
- corn tortillas
- Rinse and pat dry each filet and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the guajillo peppers in a pan, then cover with a thin layer of water to simmer over medium heat until chiles are rehydrated.
- Blend rehydrated chiles, orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, onion, achiote paste and spices until smooth.
- Cover the filets with the marinade all over and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Cut banana leaves into 12 inch squares to create a small package for each filet. Secure each package with twine.
- Once the grill is heated up, place the banana/filet packages on the grill until leaves are charred on both sides. Cook until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145°F.
- Serve each banana leaf package next to a stack of hot corn tortillas.