Oyster Mushroom Stuffing
Lavish your imagination on a luscious creation of succulent oysters and a myriad of other ingredients. This side dish is not for holidays only!
Serves six to eight.
- 1 pint Gulf oysters
- 1 pound mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 2 cups toasted whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced pimiento
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- Remove any remaining shell particles from oysters. Drain oysters.
- In a skillet, sauté mushrooms, celery and onion in margarine until tender but not brown.
- Place in a large mixing bowl and stir in bread crumbs, parsley, pimiento and seasonings.
- Add oysters and eggs to mixture. Mix thoroughly. Makes approximately 6 cups of stuffing.
- Place stuffing in a well-greased baking dish and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
Excerpted from Hooked on Seafood: A Compilation of Texas’ Best ©2007 by Annette Reddell Hegen.