A popular preparation for this flat fish. Prepare with crab meat, shrimp or cheese stuffing for an impressive entrée.
- 4 small whole flounder
- 1 cup flaked crab meat
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup crushed cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Clean and scale the flounder. Remove the heads if desired and wash the fish. Make an incision down the middle on the top side of the fish. With the knife parallel to the fish, cut the flesh away from the backbone on each side to make a “pocket” for stuffing. Do not cut through the fin area.
- Sauté vegetables in margarin. Combine vegetables and all other ingredients in mixing bowl. Loosely stuff flounder with mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Wrap tail in aluminum foil. Baste fish with cooking oil or margarine. Bake for 10 minutes per inch of thickness at 350°F, basting once. Fish is done when the flesh flakes and is solid white.
Excerpted from Hooked on Seafood: A Compilation of Texas’ Best ©2007 by Annette Reddell Hegen.