Buttermilk Fried Black Drum Fillets
Enjoying flaky, heavy-battered fried fish at home is easy with this recipe. The trick is fresh fish, hot oil and a half-hour buttermilk bath — which goes a long way in keeping the fish deliciously moist and sweet.
Serves four to six.
- 2 pounds skinless black drum fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup biscuit mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Canola oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Malt vinegar for serving
- Cut fillets into serving-size portions. Place portions in a single layer in a shallow dish. Pour buttermilk over portions and let stand for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Combine biscuit mix and salt. Remove portions from buttermilk and roll in biscuit mix.
- Deep fry in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes or until brown. Turn carefully and fry 4 to 5 minutes longer or until fish is brown and flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with lemon wedges or malt vinegar.
Excerpted from Hooked on Seafood: A Compilation of Texas’ Best ©2007 by Annette Reddell Hegen.