Blue Crab Recipes
Thai Style Crab Salad
This refreshingly bright salad brings together a vibrant Thai dressing, crispy rice paper chips, fresh herbs, and plenty of delicate, sweet crabmeat. It’s light and airy, making this dish an ideal lunch on a hot Texas summer day.
- 3 tablespoons uncooked jasmine rice
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 medium size fresh red Thai chiles, stemmed and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cane sugar
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, ripped
- 3 medium scallions
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- frying oil
- rice paper (for chips)
- In a small saucepan or deep fryer, fill with about ¼ inch of oil and heat over medium-high heat. Take one rice paper sheet and drop into the hot oil.
- Once it crisps up, take it out and lay aside to cool.
- Toast the rice in a small skillet over medium, until light golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a spice grinder, grind into a powder.
- Whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, chiles, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the fish sauce, onion, cilantro, mint, scallions, salt, and ground toasted rice; stir well.
- Transfer the salad to plates and mound the crab on top.
- Serve with rice paper chips.